Monday, September 17, 2012

Our Home (6,000ish miles) Away from Home

If you are anything like me, I am sure you are wondering about our living conditions. Before getting here, I had horrible nightmares about living in a hole in the wall joint that was infested with cockroaches. 

Well, we got lucky. We have a very nice "hole in the wall" and we have only had one incident with a cockroach, that I don't believe that was from an "infestation". 

Also, by me saying "we".... I mean Kenneth and me. Yes, we are actually allowed to live together over here, which we didn't think were were able to (but are glad we are together).

Let the pictures into our living space commence:


The lock for our door. I thought keys were universal, but nope. We have a punch code for the downstairs door and also for our door. 


After coming in the door, you see our entry way and into our kitchen area.

Our entry way has these awesome storage closets. Has enough room for our shoes, medicine, nail polish, hair dryer all those essentials. 
On the right bottom is for our jackets/umbrellas.



Our bathroom. As you will see, there is no door for the shower. 

Thus...... WATER MARKS..... ALL THE TIME!!! 
(bellow)


One of my first purchases, a Hello Kitty (dressed as a panda) toothbrush holder.



Our kitchen.... Scott's domain.  No stove, just the gas burner and tiny fridge.
Our director provided us with forks, plates, coffee mugs and towel for the kitchen.


Funny thing about our kitchen: you have to turn on/off the gas.


Quirk #2: 
You have to turn the hot water heat on and off. AND set the temperature in CELSIUS! 



Our washer and behind that is our hot water heater (left)
On the right is our dryer.  = ) 

You might also be wondering why we have 6 LITERS of empty water bottles...
Well, you are strongly advised to not drink the water. 
2 liters of water costs ~$0.8O


I never get sick of our views from our apartment. 
Since taking the top picture, that apartment building being built is now the same size as the one next to it.
We are a little mad because it will block our view of the mountains. = ( 


The brown ombre apartments are the ones we sneak into to play badminton! 



Our bed! 
Our director provided us with a new queen size bed and new bedding. 
Our bed is made of recycled.........................
CARDBOARD!!!! 

I always said I liked stiff beds, but this takes it to a new level of stiff. 

Also, as you can see in the left picture, we only get ~10 channels that get English speaking shows. 
That is NOT one of the channels.


My closets <3
My clothes have probably doubled since being here.... I was told Westerners wouldn't be able to fit in Korean clothes, I WISH. Scott wishes too, then I wouldn't drag him into EVERY boutique!



Our shared closets. South Koreans sure know how to make their closet space! 


AIR CONDITIONER!! 



Last but NOT least, our reminders on the door: (check out the locking system on that door)
Turn off Gas
Turn off H20 Heater
Unplug Chargers

Well, now you have seen our Korean digs. I feel kinda like I am on a written version of MTV Cribs, minus the fact that I'm not famous or that our house isn't 30,000 square feet with a water slide going from the second floor into the pool. 

Next pictures to come are from the DMZ! 

-C 

No comments:

Post a Comment