Monday, August 27, 2012

Typhoon Bolaven

So, if some of you haven't been paying attention to the weather in Asia, I would NOT blame you (if I weren't here, I would be oblivious), but we are bracing ourselves for Typhoon Bolaven. The typhoon is said to be the strongest to hit South Korea since 1956. Currently Bolaven is heading our way, we are to get the winds by tonight (Monday) and be in the midst of the typhoon by Tuesday. They said we could get anywhere from 20 inches of rain to 40 inches. All of Geoje (Ko-jay) public schools will be shut down tomorrow and many may close tonight, if the winds pick up. However, our director says that he will let us know if we will be shut down. = S 

The crazy thing about Typhoon Bolaven is that it will affect two members of our family. Kory's husband, BJ, is stationed in Okinawa, Japan, and was the first to experience Bolaven. 

As of right now, we are just getting the start of rain and a slight wind. You can defiantly tell a difference in the people on the island though, I feel like I should be taking this more seriously. But, Scott and I went grocery shopping yesterday and have enough water, raymen (much like ramen noodles but spicy) noodles and eggs to last us a good week and we live on the third floor. = )


Nothing real cool to report on for this past week. We have become badminton enthusiasts (our apartment is located one block from the REALLY nice apartment complexes and we sneak in to use their badminton courts and the free gym).  Scott was really excited about finding the free gym, I was excited that I beat him 3/5 games in badminton! With working 3-10pm, most of my days are just dedicated to being in the hagwon and spending time getting to know my students. 

We have been working on pronouncing the different letters. We have been having the most trouble with the 'L' sound (it comes out as an 'R' sound). Example: 'Literally'--> Riterarry. So I have a worksheet of all 'L' words I could think of planned for this week. Hopefully that will help! = ) 

A funny story to share from my last week: 
On my first Friday here, I had taught my students the acronym T.G.I.F.  This Friday in the halls I was hearing "T.G.I.F .... Friday!" from all of my students. We will keep working on that one. 

In all actuality, this whole teaching experience has been trial and error so far. I have an assortment of different level of English speakers in my class, some come once a week, some come five times a week, so it has been quite difficult but I seem to have found my sea legs. 

Hope everyone is doing well back home and I miss you all like crazy!! 

-C 

1 comment:

  1. Hope you guys stay safe. Glad you are having funn. I love the pics you should post more :) -Ayla

    ReplyDelete